Below are some of EPCAMR’s programs, projects, and technical assistance, in chronological order, throughout the Coal Region of Northeastern and North Central Pennsylvania. EPCAMR has been able to carry out these projects through the support of conservation districts, watershed organizations, regional nonprofits, industry, and governmental partners.
EPCAMR celebrated our 15th anniversary in 2011 by hosting a dinner and fundraiser at Gennetti’s in Hazleton, PA. The event included a digital photo exhibit, silent art auction, letters of appreciation and testimonials, the honoring of past and present partners, and our founding board member, Bruno Najaka. Sponsors and contributors of the event include:
Gold – Lehigh Natural Resources; RETTEW; and Hy-Tech Mushroom Compost, Inc.
Silver – Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor; First National Bank; and Insightly
Aluminum – Breaker Brewing Company; Stream Restoration Inc. & Clean Creek Products; Corcoran Printing; Columbia County Conservation District; and Lackawanna River Corridor Association & Lackawanna Valley Conservancy
Iron – Society of Mining Engineers AIME, Anthracite Section; Earth Conservancy; Futuristic Innovative Graphics, Inc.; Skelly & Loy; Kovalchik, Kollar & Co.; and Solution Mining, Inc.
EPCAMR has completed several construction projects since its inception in 1997. One of the most successful programs was the Regional Watershed Support Initiative (RWSI). From 1997 to 2002, EPCAMR was able to complete 75 projects using $200,000 in grant funds from the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PA DEP) Bureau of Mining and Reclamation with $2 million generated in matching funds. Some of these construction projects include:
- Diversion well construction on Dyer Run, tributary to the West Branch of the Schuylkill River
- Diversion well construction on Stonycreek, tributary to Rausch Creek
- Minersville Wetlands construction on the West Branch of the Schuylkill River
- Diversion Well on Silver Brook Creek, tributary to the Little Schuylkill River
- Lausanne Tunnel AMD Remediation Project on Nesquehoning Creek, tributary to the Lehigh River
- “The Swamp” AMD Treatment site on Mahanoy Creek
- Construction of an open limestone channel at two locations in the Tioga River watershed
- Management of an ESRI National Livable Communities and Environmental Protection grant, worth $6,800, in GIS software (1998)
- Coordination of the Oneida #1 Mine Tunnel Oxic Limestone Drain Treatment System, a $305,000 project, at Eagle Rock Resorts, Hazleton, PA (2001)
- Bowman Creek Coldwater Heritage Partnership Watershed Assessment (2002)
- Serving on the Non-Point Source Liaison Committee for the PA DEP (2002 – present)
- Aiding the Susquehanna River Basin Commission (SRBC) in the Upper Tioga River Watershed Assessment (2002)
- Aiding in the completion of the Wiconisco Creek Rivers Conservation Plan, in cooperation with Dauphin County Conservation District (2004); This lead to the construction of a treatment system on Bear Creek, which began in the Summer of 2005. EPCAMR was able to secure about $70,000 in funding through the Office of Surface Mining (OSM) for this $300,000 project.
- Catawissa Creek Watershed Restoration Assessment Strategy with the PA DEP BWM-Section 319 Program (2003)
- Audenried & Green Mountain Tunnel Wetlands Delineation and Identification (2004), as a part of the Audenried Tunnel AMD Treatment Project, which began in the Summer of 2005
- Securing $150,000 through OSM for the Audenried Tunnel AMD Passive Treatment System; total estimated cost to build the system is over $1.9 million and it will be the largest treatment system in the Pennsylvania Anthracite Coal Region, treating a flow of 8,500 gallons per minute of acidic aluminum-laden AMD
- Securing $5,500 from the Degenstein Foundation for the design of a treatment system at the Lewis Mine site in the Loyalsock watershed