Regional Watershed Support Initiative
At this point in time, EPCAMR has not recieved another round of funding from the PA DEP-MRM to administer this year’s RWSI Grant PG. The program was very successful during its 4 year term.
Mission:To restore watersheds impacted by abandoned mine drainage (AMD) and abandoned mine lands (AML) through the development of sustainable community-led watershed organizations, coalitions, partnerships, and related education and implementation projects
RWSI is a cooperative effort of Pennsylvania’s Department of Environmental Protection (PA DEP-Bureauof Mining & Reclamation, Bureau of Watershed Management Section 319 PG) and the Eastern Pennsylvania Coalition for Abandoned Mine Reclamation (EPCAMR).
The goal of the program is to help form new groups, assist recently formed organizations, and the more experienced groups in their efforts to RECLAIM PA and restore watersheds impacted by AMD/Abandoned Mine Lands.
Types of watershed improvement projects funded:
- Water Quality Improvement/Land Reclamation Projects
- Water Monitoring or Sampling
- Model Construction
- Organizational Support (Stamps,Envelopes, Letterhead, Legal fees, public meeting facility rental, part-time personnel, equipment purchases,etc.)
- Education & Public Outreach (Newsletter,brochures, videos, tabletop display or exhibit, etc.)
- Project Development (Design & Engineering) & Implementation of AMD Abatement Measures (on-the-ground PassiveTreatment Systems)
- Student & Teacher Training Workshops
- Community Environmental Action Projects
- Watershed Field ToursAMD/AML
- Watershed Conferences, Community Meetings, Watershed Congress
- Industrial Site Assessments on small abandoned mine land acreages for potential re-use
- Watershed organizations, partnerships, coalitions, conservancy groups, municipal governments, etc.
- A letter of determination from the IRS is required
- Organizations do not need to be a 501( c ) , however, they must identify a public or non-profit organization that will administer the finances for the grant.