Environmental Education & Outreach Programs
Programs, Presentations and Resources for Teachers
EPCAMR staff have a variety of presentations and information that we offer to schools, watershed groups, civic groups, and local governments for a small program service fee (typically $100). Below are some sample topics that we can cover in a presentation that generally last a half-hour to an hour, depending on how much detail is needed for the presentation and depending on the age level and previous knowledge on the subject matter at hand. Hands-on activities may take a little longer to prepare and conduct (may include extra charges to cover supplies). Please see our Environmental Education Programs Brochure for more Details.
1. “Your Schools Watershed Manual” Student Projects to Help Watershed Groups
2. “Whats in your Water?: Abandoned Mine Drainage in Local Watersheds” Education Module. A good overview of AMD set to curriculum standards.
3. “AMD in a Jar and a Box of Rocks” – Presentation on Various Types of Abandoned Mine Drainage and Abandoned Mine Land Geology including different types of Coal, Use of Limestone, & General Geology. A very visual and hands on type presentation.
4. Chemistry Tests with our HACH AMD Testing Kits for pH, Iron, Alkalinity, and Acidity
5. In-Stream Macro Invertebrate Sampling with Kick-Nets and Identification with the Stroud Water Research Leaf Pack Kit. Or Build your own kit from with Instructions from WV Save Our Streams
6. Various PowerPoint presentations full of colorful and visual pictures of many of our reclamation and remediation projects throughout the region
7. AMD Tye-Dye Workshop and tye-dye t-shirts, table cloths, unfinished furniture and wood, with dried AMD (iron oxide pigment). Bring your own tees…table cloths….or furniture. Download instructions here -> Iron Oxide Tie-Dye Activity
8. Painting with Soil and AMD Sediments is an activity originally from our friends at NRCS. The colors and textures of soil painting are fascinating and a creative opportunity for all students!
9. A 3-D Model that shows 4 Different AMD Passive Treatment System Remediation Designs (Decommissioned)…but see this 3-D Model Legacy Presentation
11. A 3-D Model that shows how an Underground Mine Pool Flows and creates AMD in an Abandoned Anthracite Mine (Decommissioned)…but here are some Hands on Experiments to learn about AMD
12. GIS Demonstrations on how EPCAMR utilizes GIS/GPS to Coordinate AMD & Reclamation Projects in the region
13. Environmental Education Curriculum Activities related to AMD thanks to Saint Vincent College. SVCs Environmental Education Center provides teachers with Primary and Secondary Education Courses and Workshops for Continuing Education Credits. An example of one of the modules is “Settle It Out” – which explains the process of removing metals using a wetland type treatment system. All materials are on the Saint Vincent College Environmental Education Center Website
14. Last but not least, our famous…..AMD AVENGERS VS. THE POLLUTION POSSE AMD ACTIVITY/COLORING BOOK for elementary education teachers and students. But it is also a great learning tool for adults and community members alike.
Please visit our online collection of Reference Materials and Workbooks and our Links Page where you will also find links to resources that might be helpful in finding out where additional environmental education materials are available.